Sealcoating is a service performed by asphalt paving companies to renew the surface of a road or driveway. It is typically used in conjunction with an asphalt overlay to complete the road repairs adequately. Luckily, many generations of asphalt paving companies have made the process nearly a science and it is a mainstay in road maintenance projects around the world.
Plus, as a cheaper alternative to replacing roads, asphalt sealcoating has a wide appeal for residential, commercial, and industrial operations. This makes it a great choice for driveways, secondary roads, cycling pathways, campgrounds, and more!
The Process of SealCoating Asphalt
Asphalt paving companies begin the sealcoating after a contract is awarded. It is a relatively simple process that only involves 5 short steps:
- The first step in a sealcoating operation is to patch any deep holes or ruts in the road. This process is done using an asphalt overlay process, and this is better designed to replace lost road material.
- The next step in the process is to spray a mixture of asphalt and water onto the road’s surface. The water begins to evaporate almost immediately but is necessary to ease the flow of the asphalt being applied.
- Next, a layer of gravel is applied over top of the newly applied asphalt. This increases tire’s adhesion to the road, and also increases the durability of the finished product.
- The fourth step in the process is the compaction of the gravel. Occasionally, sand will be added to create a more homogeneous mixture and also to act as a binder. Unfortunately, not all of the gravel can be compacted into the road, so the project is left to cure for 2 full days. During this time, the travel must be restricted and the speed of vehicles reduced to ensure a proper cure without damage to the new sealcoating installation.
- Finally, the excess, loose gravel is swept away in several passes. This leaves a smooth and uniform surface with a reduced potential for flying debris.
Trust the Experts with your Asphalt SealCoating
Now that you understand the process of asphalt sealcoating it is easy to see how professionals are needed to perform the work. Especially the compacting of the material as this involves specialized, industrial equipment to function correctly.
If you are in need of an asphalt sealcoat, trust the experts to make the process simple and easy. Remember to find a company that has experience in these situations, and don’t be afraid to explore your options to find the best company for your unique and specific needs.
Economy Paving is your trusted Calgary paving project partner. Working with municipal, commercial and residential customers, we provide complete solutions for driveways & parking lots, roadways, infrastructure projects, and more. If you’re searching for reliable Calgary concrete contractors, call us at 403-278-7727 or email us at [email protected].